FSB License NO. 9635
Shakthi Bunwarie Financial Services cc CK 2000/032587/23 trading as Power Brokers
School Directory
list off the schools on our website

Previous Page

Woodlands Secondary School Emblem

Mysore Road
Northdale
Pietermaritzburg
3201
Tel: 033 387 1620
Fax: 033 387 1620



  • History
  • Gallery
  • Events


PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS SECTOR IS STILL UNDER PROGRAMMING. INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHIN THIS PERIOD.  WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.

1902
The school opened its door to pupils.
First Principal: Mr Serridge (Acting Headmaster)
Mr Jonas Ebenezer: First Indian Educator at Woodlands Secondary School. (1902-1908)
Head Prefect: Mr G V Naidoo.(One of the first learners to attend Woodlands Secondary School)
Mr MOA Fann - First Headmaster. Taken over from Mr Serridge (Acting Principal)
Enrollment: 74 Learners

1906

Principal : Mr St Jhon Mitchell

1908
7 Learners had written the Natal Matric Examination of which 5 had passed.

1912
On 2 August 1912, The School was given its official name: YORK ROAD GOVERNMENT SCHOOL.
First female learners were admitted.

1913
Principal: Mr J H Ward

1915
Principal: Mr Barron (Acting Principal) - (1915-1919)

1917
Principal: Mr E Chapple (1917-1919)

1919
Principal: Mr W A Lewitt - (1919 - 1935)

1935
Principal: Mr G J H Anderson

1940
Principal: Mr H S Clulow (Acting Principal)
Up till 1940 the school did not have any specific colours or insignia. It was during this time that the school colours (red and green) were adopted (20 November 1940). These were the colours of the Scotsville Government School which had subsequently closed down. The badge and motto of Scotsville Government School were adopted were also adopted. The badge consisted of a "fluttering seagul" and the motto being, "Book & Bull".

1941
Principal: Mr F D Heese

1945
Mr Lundie relinquished post of principalship.
Mr T O Callaghan appointed Acting Principal - 30 January 1945
Mr E S Metcalf appointed Principal - 22 October 1945

1946
School had become a fully fledged High School.
Certain changes were made to the schools insignia. A white stripe was introduced into the original white and red tie to give character to the colours. The fluttering seagul was replaced by a soaring eagle and the motto was changed to STAY THE COURSE.

1949
Woodlands High School ended co-education.

1952
Head Prefect: Iswar Maikoo

1953
Head Prefect: Mr A L Deedat

1954
Mr J C Livingstone appointed principal in January of 1954.

1956
Head Prefect: R C James

1957
Mr P C Nair appointed Acting Vice Principal - 28 June 1957
Mr R D Nobin appointed as Vice Principal - 1957 - 1961
Head Prefect: T G Chetty

1959
Head Prefect: Mr J S Maharaj

1961

Principal: Mr G Cheddie - First Indian Principal
Head Prefect: Dr B Naidoo

1962
Principal: Mr A N Lazarus
50 Girls were admitted into school, making it a co-educational school.
Head Prefect: M Lallo
Deputy Head Prefect: M Velu

1963
Head Prefect: R Bookhan
Deputy Head Boy: H Kalipersad

1964
Head Prefect: Hanif Bhamjee

1965
Head Prefect: D Bharathathy
Deputy Head Boy: Dr C V Govender

1966
Proffesor Vinod B Jogessar - Prefect & Dux Awardee

1967
Principal: Mr B J Maharaj - 1967-1974
M L Sultan Hall iniated.

1970
Mr A N Lazarus returned as principal.
School obtains 100% pass rate.

1971
Mr A Mia appointed Deputy Principal. (1971-1975)

1977
This marked the 75th Anniversary, a Resolute Eagle had replaced the "Soaring Eagle".

1978
Principal: Mr A Mia (1978-1987)

1984
Principal: Mr A Jagernath (1984-1985)

1988
Principal: Mr V Ramiah (1988 - 1991)

2002
Woodlands Secondary School celebrated their centenary year. 

Mr Serridge (1st Appointed Principal of WHS)
Class of 1902
 Plan of School 1st Submitted WHS in 1902
Grade 8 Centenary Year 2002
 Grade 9 Centenary Year 2002  Grade 10 Centenary Year 2002  Grade 11 Centenary Year 2002
 Grade 12 Centenary Year 2002      
       
       

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS SECTOR IS STILL UNDER PROGRAMMING. INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHIN THIS PERIOD.  WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.